top of page
  • chairman9911

Do good neighbours really need a party wall agreement?

Sharing knowledge is a key part of being a member of Tunbridge Wells Business Network and Sally Redfearn of Anstey Horne talked recently about what happens when your next door neighbour wants to do building work. So what can you do to ensure their building work doesn’t harm your property?

If you are good friends you could simply get your neighbour's consent in writing. A simple agreement including architect's drawings ensures that your neighbour is clear about exactly what they are approving.

But if in doubt, get a party wall award.

The Party Wall Act sets out what your neighbour needs to do when they want to do building work that might affect part of a building or land that you share with them. It could be construction work on a party wall, changes to the foundations or even something that could have an effect on adjacent but remote properties. The “award” is a legal agreement that sets out their rights to do the work but also the timing and the way the work is done to mitigate the effects of noise, dust, vibration and movement. It also covers any costs incurred if the work is not done correctly.

So if you want to do work on your building that affects your neighbours, or if your neighbour wants to do work that affects you, take proper advice to make sure your interests are protected.

Sally Redfearn is senior associate director at Anstey Horne who are the UK’s top independent Rights of Light, Daylight & Sunlight, Party Wall and Building Consultancy practice. She’s the expert you need to talk to!

Recent Posts

See All

Meaningful Meetings

I was inspired to think about meetings more deeply when listening to a Bottom Line radio programme about meetings. We all attend and hold a lot of meetings so perhaps a refresher about how to hold suc


bottom of page